Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Penn State and the Ice Caps!

As some, or none of you, know PSU is my Alma mater. This is the place I learned how to drink and my love affair with beer and rum grew. Well This morning this here article tittled "Penn State Roars to the Top of Part School List," was forwarded to me by a listener (yes he listens via ODO). And if you haven't picked up on this by now, that is Tim.

This article boast that PSU is now the NUMBER ONE party school in the country. Awwww, when I was there, we were only number 4. Here are a few quotes for those who will not click the link.

Hell, I am going to quote the whole thing, it's just to funny not to.

"July 28

Penn State roars to top of party school list

GENARO ARMAS Associated Press Writer

STATE COLLEGE — Penn State University is now the nation’s No. 1 party school.

The school known partly for its football tailgate weekends and fraternity and sorority scene snatched the title away from the University of Florida in the 2009 Princeton Review survey of 122,000 students nationwide. Florida, last year’s winner, finished second in the annual survey released Monday.

It’s the first time Penn State has finished first in the dubious category. The school has been on the list the last seven years and ranked third in 2008. The listing covers Penn State’s main University Park campus in State College.

“These rankings are not more than popularity contests,” said university spokeswoman Annemarie Mountz. She noted that groups on the social networking site Facebook have urged members to make Penn State the top party school.

“It’s a badge of honor at this point. Nationwide, kids want to pump their schools in these surveys,” Mountz said. “It’s not connected to reality.”

The rankings were part of the Princeton Review’s “The Best 371 Colleges” annual guide. On average, there were 325 respondents to the survey per school, which Mountz said amounted to less than 1 percent of the University Park campus’ enrollment of 43,000 students.

Penn State also finished first in the categories “lots of beer” and students who pack the stadium. Beaver Stadium is one of the country’s largest sports facilities, seating more than 107,000 for football games.

After Penn State and Florida, the top five institutions on the party schools list were the University of Mississippi, the University of Georgia, and Ohio University-Athens.

Guide author Robert Franek said every school in the survey offered “great academics.”

But the guide does not rank schools academically, Franek said in a statement, because the goal is to “help students find and get into the best school for them ... It’s all about fit.”

The annual rankings also list the country’s “Stone-Cold Sober Schools.” Brigham Young University in Utah topped that list for the 12th straight year."

I also like the last graph in the story about "Stone-Cold Sober Schools." Of course Brigham Young is going to top that chart. What did you think was going to happen, they would be bested by the University of Hawaii? Come on now.

I think a few Friends and I need to roll back down to the SC and show these kids how it's done. They are relying on Facebook to vote them number one. And yes I know Facebook is more than a social networking site, it is life after all. But FB aside, in my hay-day, we used Myspace and AIM! And we got to number 4 on shear drunkin' ramblings.


I know archaic. But it got the job done. Kids these days are slackers. I bet they don't eve have one of these:
Can you guess what one is mine? I'll give you a hint, it was my nick name while pushing my school to #4 the hard way in 2004.

Moving on.

Amy and I don't like to starve to death, so from time to time we go to this crazy place called a grocery store. They are new inventions that sell food to you, so you can go home and make it for yourself. Well while on an adventure to said grocery store, we found this gem.

I know the world is worried about the Polar Ice Caps melting, but are they aware that they are melting into lard and being harvested by Morrell? I was unaware of this, and last time I check Morrell was still making socks and shoes and not lard. But I guess with this economic downturn. you make a buck where you can.

And if that means harvesting the lard melting off the ice caps and selling it for $2.19, you do it. Even if you spill a little on the soles of your shoes while your at it. I guess that is how they make them look so shinny and make me want to buy them. Mix a little lard in and BAM, especially pleasing. So lard is also advancing their sales of shoes. Genius.

I also had a run in, or near-miss if you will, with my version of the "Lone Wolf." I am going to come back to near-miss shorty. This is a man who I have been seeing for years, he drives a Kawasaki Ninja 250, or at last he did, I caught a better look last night and it looked a little more like this (without the sticker kit), and it seams he may have upgraded for more power.

I have been seeing him ride his bike around 4 seasons a year, rain/sleet/sun/snow, with no helmet and no acknowledgment of other riders out there on the road. My last real run in with him was on the road. I was driving along with The Meepers, and this fucker (yes I said fucker) came flying past me. I already don't like the "Lone Wolf" due to his ignorance and ass holeness, but this topped the cake for me.

I kept my restraint and didn't say a word to this man. Though I wanted to tip over his shopping cart then run and hide to watch as he came back to his items spilled on the floor. Then I envisioned making my grand entrance laugh in his face and him cowering in fear. Truth is, if I did say anything to him, he probably would be afraid. He is in fact a smaller man than myself.

Now to briefly touch on the near-miss term. It is often used to describe planes when they almost collide, well that among other things. But why near-miss? They did miss, just as I missed colliding carts with the Lone Wolf. Why not call it a near-hit? Does that give to much emphasis that things almost actually hit each other? Because after all that is what happened. I can see in terms of airplanes the more emphasis on them almost smashing mid air, when after all there is not much to hit up there, is a bad thing. But that term can use some work.

And with all of this said, there has been a spotting of The Glistening Morning Jew.
Be on the look out, he is armed with nothing, and not very dangerous.

That is all, carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment