Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The World is a Vampire

Sent to drain..... my sanity. Or fill me up with humor! Today I was again reminded why I need to carry a point and shoot camera at all times. I saw a sight that is burned into my retinas for at least the rest of the day. Let me describe the scene first.

Time 8:04 a.m. 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Moosic Street, Scranton PA. I am driving up Moosic St. Toward I 81 to head to work. I am in The Egg, stopped at a red traffic light. I am waiting to turn right, so I am in the farthest lane to the right (this is important because this puts me in the eye-contact zone).

Now the incident. It took place over about a minute to a minute and a half. I see a man running down the side of the road toward me. It looks as though he is a construction worker from far away, but there is no road work, or any construction in sight for that matter. That combined with the high rate of speed this man is running makes me scratch my brain and stair. OK, so at this point deductive reasoning tells me, this man is a runner. OK, that is established. On with it.

The man gets a red and is waiting for the car in front of me to make a right one red. He does and I pull forward and watch. The runner is wearing very short red shorts, a construction workers vest, not a runners vest. A Blaze Orange with yellow reflective tape vest. I know these vests, I sold them for 11 years to construction workers. He is also wearing a very very beat and worn old skull cap. All of this, fine and acceptable. The part that made me not look away is as fallows.

He was wearing a pair of leather palm gauntlet gloves! What the hell is that about! I saw them from across the street and said "What the fuck" out loud in my car. As the man ran past me, I could not look away. I made eye contact, then looked at his hands. He was also carrying one weight in each hand.

Now I know, he was just trying to keep warm. It was only 41 out after all. I myself grab and wear what is available to me when I am running in the winter, but gauntlet gloves! Come on now. This may only seem strange to me, because again, I sold these to working men for 11 years, but come on. There is something not right about this.

And here you go!


That is all, carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment