Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Martin Tour....Part 2.

Well last week Amy and I went on our second tour of the Martin Guitar Factory. I must say, 90% of the tour was the same. But that is what happens when you go a few months apart. But we did get to see two different areas!

OK, one new area, and a different, better view of anthoer area. We had their IT guy give us the tour this time around. I must say the first tour guy gave a better tour, but we did get some different information.

First I'll tell you about the two new areas. First we got to go out on the balcony of the wood shop. We saw all the machines cutting the tops, backs, sides, necks, ect. We got to see this last time (and the view from tour one on tour two), but we were not permitted to go out onto the balcony the first time. This made me very happy!

New area number two! And this we did not see at all the first time. We got to peek in on the R & D department. We got to see two prototypes that never made it out alive. And I must say, Martinshould never had tried to develop these guitars. They are down right ugly. Ornage metal flack paint job on a D-28 with a silver binding on one guitar. On the other, gloss black paint with purple and silver flames. No sound hole, instead 4 small holes with silver grates to look like car grills over them.

Now the tour guides. Tour guide number one: Old rocker dude. Knew his shit, and had a tone of great stories. He really knew about the whole process of building guitars and what each person job was. He was cool and had a way about him. Tour guide number two: IT guy. pretty nerdy, and very factual. He knew all the steps along the line, and why they were nessisary for quality, but not really what they were about. He gave us a lot of facts and information that we did not get on tour number one.

Both tours were great, and if anyone wants to do the tour, I am ready to do it again... anytime. I loved it! I will say that tour number one was better, but I remembered my real camera this time around! I took about 140 photos, so here are a few of them.


And the last photo I am going to post today:
BAM! YA!

If you would like to view all 140 photos feel free to visit my Martin Guitar Tour Photobucket page.

That is all, carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment